Friday, January 24, 2014

Sunflower Freedom Project

On of the most inspirational experience that I had on this trip was when we visited Sunflower County Freedom Project. Coming into this I really didn't know what to expect but when we began to listen to the stories I was really surprised. We eventually learned that the schools and the county were both segregated. This came as a surprise to me because of the fact that I had never heard of it until just then. You'd think that a topic that big you would have heard at least something about it but I haven't and that kind if made me upset. The all black school is a poor public school where the teachers don't care and don't really teach the kids and at some points will sit on their phones and not pay attention. While at the other school it's a private school and the kids there get privileged with extra curricular activity's and opportunity's in the world.The great thing that the Sunflower County Freedom Project does is that they do their best to give these children an opportunity to get away from Sunflower County and have a good education instead of their public school one. I believe that with out the Sunflower County freedom project have done a great job and I want to come back one day to help because I think this is a monstrosity that people are unaware of the severity of this situation. 

Tivon, City Neighbors 

No comments:

Post a Comment