Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Singing Praises

Since I was in Lower School I've heard nothing less than students singing the trip's praises. As of yesterday we'd only been traveling for two days and I was already deeply affected. I began this trip with an existing passion for civil rights, equality, and the importance of people interacting and relating on a human level and not letting prejudices interfere with our common humanity. However seeing the actual sites of many famous landmarks from the Civil Rights Movement has been incredible. Yesterday morning we went to the King Day service at the new Ebenezer Baptist Church in Atlanta, Georgia.  This was the church that Dr. King preached at, following in the footsteps of his father and grandfather before him. Being welcomed into the church was very special and celebrating King's life with people who had and continue to face racial prejudice each and every day was powerful.  It's also incredible how big of a presence those who are gone can still have. Standing in the original church where MLK preached and inspired was powerful.  Wrapping my head around the fact that these landmarks are where these things I've learned about in school for so long actually happened is unreal.  I have found myself wishing that I could go back in time and meet Dr. King and experience the movement.  

One thing that I felt conflicted about was the role of the church.  I really enjoyed the service, being able to immerse myself in a culture that's different than what I am familiar with in synagogue.  I also appreciate the power and inspiration and hope that the church historically instilled in the African American community.  However, I am not religious at all.  Judaism is very important to my family on a cultural level, but not a religious level.  I've been wondering how those who aren't religious could/ can fit in and be a part of the group inspiration and motivation without having to go to church and try to be motivated by things that they don't believe in.

Finally, last night having the honor to hear the stories of activists was amazing.  My highlight from the trip has been singing we shall overcome after the activists spoke. It was incredibly powerful and I was almost moved to tears.  One thing that hit me after leaving the dinner was how fortunate I am to live in a time when activists from the movement are still around to talk to me.  For my children, the movement will probably feel a lot less tangible.  I then reflected on all of the Holocaust survivors who I've heard speak over the years through my synagogue and regretted that I didn't appreciate hearing their stories more.  We are the last generation who will have the honor of hearing their stories first hand.  


I'm most looking forward to walking over the bridge in Selma today and visiting Simmons High School tomorrow! The trip has lived up to its name so far!

Elana, Park School

No comments:

Post a Comment