Thursday, January 23, 2014

Segregated Schools

Upon reading about the problematic (STILL) segregated school system within Sunflower County- I didn't know what to expect from the students we would be meeting. For the first time on this trip, I am ashamed to say, I felt a bit concerned about the children we would be speaking with.

 In an article about the project it described the kids as rude, disrespectful, and downright unbearable. My thoughts after meeting them are the exact opposite. I'm really appalled how the author of the article had the audacity to place these kids in such a negative light. In fact, I would encourage anyone I knew to take a trip out to Mississippi if they ever got the opportunity to meet these kids and hear their story. 

I myself feel honored to have the kids of The Sunflower Freedom Project allow us to come into their learning environment and open up to us. I'm certain that they aren't able to tell their story nearly as much as they should be able to, as well as I'm aware that not enough people know about how truly inspiring these children are. 

It is known in America that our education system almost has more flaws than good assets. Although this is the case for every school, I realized that there was nothing worse than the situation the public city school students face in Sunflower County. 

But- these students do not let it get in the way of striving for a better education. Their situation is very similar to that of what Dr.Sybil Hampton experienced while attending high school. It seems like the kids within the Sunflower Freedom Project keep the same quote in mind when things get really tough: "I wanted to have a wonderful life- and I knew that education is the key for that." 

Carmela, City Neighbors 

No comments:

Post a Comment