Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Headed to Selma

So far in the trip we are on our way to Selma, Alabama, however in just two days we've been to many places before this. My favorite so far has been Birmingham "Bombingham" Alabama. My reason for this is because thus far Birmingham has stood alone as the most profound example of the effect of civil rights so far. In Birmingham we visited a Museum and learned a lot there but one thing that was constantly mentioned was the bombing of four church girls, which was a heavy reoccurrence there because the site of the bombing was just at the end of block.

However, this was not why Birmingham was my favorite. The reason why Birmingham is my favorite is because there we were able to meet 3 people who were directly involved in the movement. Despite their age, their memories did not seem faded in the least bit and it allowed us to sincerely appreciate the effect the civil rights movement had on their lives. Upon talking to our guest speakers over dinner, I was asked a question by the daughter of Mrs. Goree. She said to me "so when did you learn what it means to be black?" And this struck me because I realized the answer wasn't until 10th grade. Which is far too long to understand the effect of my presence on earth in conjunction with all those that came before me. It struck me that in public schooling we learn so extensively about the history behind each people except for our own. It struck me that back then, and even now, to some extent, I don't know what it means to be black.

Another thing I especially enjoyed about the dinner we had was speaking to Mrs. Catherine Burks-Brooks, a freedom rider who was arrested thrice and since has led quite the colorful life spanning from Birmingham Alabama all the way to Nassau, Bahamas. One of the main things she spoke about that I found very interesting was that upon listening to her history, it was very easy to devolve that she was a woman who was raised around and accepted violence. However, she participated in such a dangerous non-violent movement. This is where she explained that for some, like John Lewis, took non-violence as a way of life, whereas for Mrs. Burks-Brooks herself, it was just a tactic.

Chance Emon Ward, Baltimore City College

No comments:

Post a Comment