Thursday, January 23, 2014

Sunflower County

A couple days ago, we went to Sunflower county, Mississippi to visit with some students at the Freedom Project. This small corner of the country is one place where segregation is still a huge part of their society. The public schools are 100% black, while the private schools are 100% white. This current condition of the black public schools was incredibly unforgettable for me, because if their sheer lack of academic resources that I take or granted every day. Throughout the experience, I talked to the children, who were all very motivated to learn and move forward in the world. Many of them had college aspirations even in the seventh grade, and they each had a passion that they cared strongly about. With all of he resources that I sometimes fail to take advantage of in my school, I feel incredibly guilty for how those same resources would undoubtedly be used to their full extents. Hearing how prevalent segregation of the races it in 2014 struck me immensely. I would be very interested in hearing the side of the story from some of the white kids, but when we called the private school to request a visit they declined, which was interesting because of how close minded these separatists are web it comes to any notion of civil rights and racial equality.

Hana, City College

No comments:

Post a Comment