Friday, January 24, 2014

National Civil Rights Museum

On  January 23 we visited the National  Civil Rights Museum .  First the group saw a timeline of the Civil Rights history . It was full of important events that happened during the Civil Rights . Looking through the timeline , I was very surprised . I noticed Segregation was not that long ago . Segregation ended in 1954 , after theBrown V Board case .  It made me realize that my grandparents went through the hard times of segregation .  Around that time they might have been in elementary school . Out of the whole timeline that affected me the most . I also looked at James Earl Ray past , the killer of Martin Luther King .  He was a criminal even before the assassination of Martin Luther King . He got arrested before and he robbed a bank . I was so angry because if they would've already arrested him and kept him in jail , he would've never assassinated Martin Luther King .  It was surprising to me that people never got caught being a criminal , but always got locked when they thought a black harassed a white .  Later on in the day we visited Lorraine Motel , where Martin Luther King got assassinated .  I was very emotional , when walking on the balcony .  It made me feel so powerless when walking on the balcony . I was walking right in the spot where Martin Luther  King got killed . When looking through his Motel , room 306 . I saw ciggarates in an ash tray . I never knew Martin Luther King smoked . Its sad that he didn't want to ruin his perception of what people thought of him . But back at that time people were so judgmental .  So I could understand why he did hide it .  But visiting the National Civil Rights museum was a god experience overall . I learned and gained so much knowledge .

Sharniece Adams, City Neighbors 

No comments:

Post a Comment