Thursday, January 23, 2014

Dr. Hampton

Today I talked to Dr. Sybil Hampton, she is clearly one of the most intelligent and powerful women I've ever met. She was the first black student to go through all three years at Little Rock Central high school. During our conversation I asked her something along the lines of "how did you stay so strong? How did you keep yourself motivated?" because I myself have found myself having a hard time staying motivated in fighting what I believe in. After talking to Mrs. Bland I felt bad for quitting, I felt guilty for losing hope, I felt stuck with the identity of a coward. However, Dr. Sybil was able to comfort me to the extent that she assured me that as long as I stayed true to myself and expressed myself accordingly, then I was fighting, I hadn't given up, I hadn't quit yet. She said I wasn't doing the most of my potential, but I was doing enough, in that I was able to change myself. And she assured me that change would inevitably carry on to the rest of the world I encounter.

Chance, City College

No comments:

Post a Comment