Friday, January 24, 2014

Erected Statuses

Erected statues immortalizing students, museums solely dedicated to courageous protesters, and plaques commemorating injustices that brave individuals seemed to tower over my accomplishments thus far. I felt distant from the Civil Rights Movement. It was as if the achievements made in the movement were beyond me. But the talk with Dr. Sybil Hampton showed that even small change can be monumental.

At school, I have struggled to move forward with diversity and open students minds to change. I felt as though being aware and speaking to others about being aware wasn't enough. But Dr. Hampton, talked about how being silent can be the worse. I definetly can't say I have not played the role of the bystander, but I can say she made me feel better about when I do speak.


Ty, Park School 

No comments:

Post a Comment