Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Ebenezer Baptist Church

Yesterday, January 19th, we went to Ebenezer Baptist church which is Martin Luther King jr.'s old church. While they have preserved the original church, they have started a new one right across the street. Though I knew we would be going to church, I didn't know how I was going to feel about it. I am a Jehovah's Witness and I felt as though my religious identity would get in the way of me opening my mind up. However I found the exact opposite. I felt at home because the people were nice and the service was great. I found truth in everything that the guest preacher talked about. I realized that even though you practice different things, religion is something that is supposed to bring people together. I don't understand how some churches like the Westboro Baptist church could be so ignorant. In this day in age we need to stop trying to change people. We need to teach them tolerance. If someone's grown up one way it's so hard to change deep seeded childhood thinking. So I feel as though we need to help them deal with the situation rather than trying to change them.  I guess I expected them all to be that way. Baptist churches I mean. But that was not true. I felt comfortable. Going over to the original made me emotional because Martin Luther King jr. stood on that platform so that I could live the life I'm living. I appreciate everything that he has done for me and my people. Even the small people in the background who aren't acknowledge. I appreciate them and I will not take their sacrifice for granted. I'm one of the lucky ones.

Deyvonn Bell, City College

No comments:

Post a Comment