Thursday, January 23, 2014

Potential

"never underestimate a students potential,"

This was so powerful to me. Yesterday when we visited the sunflower county freedom project, I saw this on the wall. This tells me that they feel as though they could reach their full potential if they were given the same opportunities. It's so sad that they do get to expand their horizons or to obtain the same education as the "white" kids. Even Dr. Hampton said that when she went to Mississippi, she felt as though she was stepping back into the 60's because of the segregation in the schools. It makes me appreciate the education that I have because I have opportunities that they will never have. They have opened my mind and my heart

Throughout this trip I have been feeling so open-minded. Seeing all the different schools, people, heroes, and places it has been so life changing. When we go to sites that are historic museums and sites that are not museums and thinking wow my children will not know about this because it will be gone when they are born. This trip makes me think that there are things even in my home that I can do to better the environment and keep the dream alive. Without this trip I would have never stepped outside my comfort zone.


Daavon, City College

No comments:

Post a Comment